Tax Collection Officer needed to work for the Public Sector in Exeter.
Start date: Immediate
Full time, Monday - Friday, 37 hours per week.
Contract duration: 2 months, it may be extended.
Pay rate: £9.91p/h + DOE
We are looking for a Tax Collection Officer to work within the Payment and Collections Team to start on the 25th March 2019.
- To monitor and control all customer accounts falling into arrears in relation to the recovery of the Tax and where appropriate, initiate escalation of recovery action.
- To fully understand each customer's overall debt and agree appropriate and sustainable payment arrangements to clear that debt.
- To provide advice and support to customers in financial hardship, negotiating payment plans, and exploring sustainable solutions including use of discretionary funds, match funding and income maximisation.
- Daily, proactively preventing debt, by making contact with customers in the early stages of arrears to discuss circumstances and payment arrangements.
- To provide a full customer advice and support service by telephone, written and electronic communications and face to face at the council's offices and to update customer records as necessary.
- To gather information and make recommendations on cases to be considered for write off
- To undertake all administrative tasks associated with the team including incoming post, daily adjustments to arrangements, checking cases when escalated action is recommended, updating customer records and other administrative tasks as required.
- To provide feedback and ideas to improve team performance in relation to failure demand, customer behaviour and other external influences on debt recovery.
- IRRV Level 2 Diploma in Local Taxation, Benefits and Advice (QCF) or substantial proven equivalent experience
- Adequate current experience of working within a high pressure income recovery and customer focussed environment
- A working knowledge of financial customer solutions available including payment arrangement, discretionary funding and write off with the ability to explore sustainable ways to maintain and maximise the councils income in a customer focussed way.
- Good communication skills at all levels to deal with frequent enquiries on income collection and related issues with customers, collegues, members and 3rd party representatives
- Independent decision making when negotiating arrangements with customers
- Excellent negotiation skills with customers who need to understand the severity of their debt situation.
If you feel you match the profile, please apply online or do get in touch with Judyta at Tiverton Branch on 01884 242 255.