Heavy Vehicle Assembly Fitter
Rate of pay: £12.85 ph plus enhanced rates for overtime
Location: Merthyr Tydfil
Contract: Long-term, temporary
Initially, this is a 6 month assignment. However the position will be reviewed for an extended period, with potential to become a permanent role.
Due to the growing demands of the business, Acorn Recruitment is working on behalf of a well-established international company providing land, air and marine solutions & support.
We are currently seeking a number of Heavy Vehicle Assembly Fitters who will be responsible for harness, LRU and component installation, along with other fitting activities that are required to assemble military vehicles.
The Assembly Fitter will report to the Production Supervisor, and will perform a wide variety of electrical, electronic, mechanical or hydraulic product assembly operations on product assemblies or sub-assemblies in Merthyr Tydfil. This includes the possibility of support to manufacturing activities overseas.
- Installing mechanical, electrical or electronic products in a production environment
- Support the day-to-day activities of the manufacturing team, operating within the Health and Safety practices of the company
- Record keeping, including the recording of serial numbers to support "As Built" records
- Adhering to manufacturing Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's)
- Complying with policies and procedures to carry out work in a safe and diligent manner with minimal supervision
- Undertake additional duties in line with capabilities as required
- Participation as a member of continuous improvement initiatives
Essential Skills and Abilities
- Good Mechanical and/or electrical aptitude
- Ability to read assembly documentation such as drawings and work instructions
- Experienced in the safe use of hand and power tools
- General knowledge of assembly operations
- Ability to work within a 'team' environment
- Ability to work in a complex production environment
- Ability to work at heights and in restricted spaces
- Good understanding of Health and Safety regulations
- Familiarity with workmanship criteria and the ability to distinguish between acceptable and unacceptable product
- Good interpersonal, verbal communication skills to explain general information and effectively communicate with peers and management
- Minimum of a high school education or equivalent (appropriate work experience may be substituted for educational requirement)
- Hold, or be capable of holding, security clearance to the level of basic check
Desirable Skills and Abilities
- Experience/knowledge of military vehicles or HGV vehicles
- Experience of manufacturing environments
- Experience of maintaining, repairing or fitting out track vehicles is highly desirable
- Prior electro/mechanical assembly experience preferred
- Hold a current Track vehicle 'H' driving licence (desirable but not essential)
Successful applicants will be required to undertake a UK Security Clearance check prior to commencing duties.