An exceptionally exciting opportunity has arisen for an Associate Scientist (Analytical) to work for a leading, global company in the Life Sciences Industry.
The successful applicant will be assigned responsibility for laboratory projects as well as generation of test data to specified protocols.
- Perform routine projects and testing with minimal supervision. Write test reports.
- Review job request, relevant MSDS and fully understand requirements in accordance with laboratory SOPs
- Determine availability of required equipment and materials - prepare or order required materials
- Review timelines and discuss schedule conflicts or modifications with laboratory management (and project manager, where necessary)
- Document preparation appropriately using datasheets or laboratory notebooks
- Assemble test apparatus
- Correctly operate, understand and be able to troubleshoot all equipment/instrumentation necessary to support testing
- Perform test work according to laboratory request requirements. Record raw data directly onto datasheets or into laboratory notebook. Immediately notify laboratory management of any test delays, problems or deviations
- Disassemble and clean test equipment and work area
- Record any remaining test information
- Create an accurate and timely laboratory report reflective of the laboratory request requirements. Report hours spent on project
Responsibilities specific to Analytical Laboratory
- A member of a team of scientists working in the Analytical Laboratory performing test work to support internal R&D and external customers for the Biopharmaceutical industry.
- The role requires generation of test data using analytical test methods to specified protocols.
- An Associate Scientist will typically be allocated responsibility for completion of tests each week in addition to undertaking general laboratory support activities:
- Monitor stocks of consumables and raise purchase requisitions as required. Ensure certificates of conformance are received, checked and filed for all relevant items.
- Maintain storage areas for customer test samples, dispose of samples via the appropriate waste stream as required.
- Assist with equipment calibration and maintenance, autoclave validation, maintenance of stocks of Pall test articles, environmental monitoring, and completion of applicable documentation.
- Assist other members of the team to complete their defined responsibilities when required.
- Understand how various laboratory systems (including purchasing, calibration, and materials inventory) are maintained. Responsibility for maintenance of such a system may be assigned
- Assist with general laboratory housekeeping
- Assist with training of new staff as required
- Attend training courses as required
- Follow assigned work schedule and meet expected target dates
Qualifications / other requirements
- Degree or equivalent in Science/Engineering, 0-3 years relevant work experience
- Ability to work independently and provide scientific analysis of data (able to apply a working knowledge of scientific principles)
- Identify issues within a project and propose solutions based on current practices
- Use independent judgment for individual daily tasks but typically requires some degree of supervision
- Knowledge of fundamental laboratory techniques and measurement methods
- Practical ability to perform test work and execute work instructions
- Good written and verbal communication
- Conversant with PC based programme
- Work safely and comply with the company's health, safety and environmental (HSE) policies and procedures. (Mandatory- Do not Remove)
- Adhere to general laboratory rules and maintain laboratory cleanliness
- On occasion may need to start or finish work earlier or later depending on test requirements
- Hold current passport as may need to travel to other Pall locations for training or assist with test work