Acorn Executive Search acts as a strategic partner with the Welsh Sports Association, to assist with the recruitment of NEDs for their Boards.
The Federation of Disability Sport Wales (DSW) is looking to appoint a passionate, innovative and knowledgeable Chair to lead the dynamic Board and team in strategic review and into an exciting time of transition within Welsh Sport.
The Federation of Disability Sport Wales (DSW) is Company limited by guarantee, registered with charitable status and the lead agency for disability sport and physical activity (including sport) for disabled people in Wales.
The organisation is responsible for grass roots engagement through to supporting the most talented athletes in Wales into elite performance.
There is also a strong emphasis on education and training, and a commitment to supporting and equipping the whole sector to establish
DSW has a team of 13 full and part-time officers, supported by a Disability Sport Wales Development Officer (DSWDO) within each of the 22 Local Authorities in Wales.
All Directors on the DSW Board also act as Trustees to the Charity.
The Board consists of:
* A Chair (elected by the Board) and a Vice Chair (elected by the Member Organisations)
* One nominated representatives from each of the four Member Associations: Welsh Sports Association for People with Learning Disabilities (WSAPLD); Welsh Paraplegic and Tetraplegic Sports Association (WPTSA); Welsh Association of Visually Impaired Bowlers (WAVIB); and Wales Deaf Sport (WDS)
* Six Elected Directors (skills and values-based recruitment)
* Additional Special Advisors designated to serve as appropriate and required
* One honorary President and up to 4 Vice Presidents.
* To provide inclusive leadership to the Board acting in the long-term interests of DSW
* To be an advocate and ambassador for Disability Sport Wales with existing and new partners, and maintain robust relationships with key stakeholders (sponsors, funders and Welsh Government)
* To provide support and advice to the CEO and appraise her/his performance
* To take responsibility for the Board's composition, induction, development and performance management
* To safeguard appropriate Board and staff succession planning
* To ensure Board carries out its essential functions, by planning the business to be conducted, ensuring a voice for all, reaching appropriate conclusions, and ensuring accurate records are kept
* To ensure Board operates in accordance with the Governance and Leadership
* To ensure that the Board delegates sufficient and appropriate authority to
sub-committees and staff.
* To chair four Board meetings a year and one AGM annually (these meetings are normally held in Cardiff or Deeside with a VC to other locations as appropriate and required)
* To chair or nominate a chair to the Nominations and Remunerations sub-committee
* To enable the Board and Staff to define the strategic direction and priorities and ensure there is appropriate resources available to deliver
* To enable the Board to monitor and review risk associated with delivering the Strategy and likely to impact the business
* To maintain the highest standards of governance
* To enable equity in practice and strive for equality for all members, staff, and board members, as well as for disabled people across Wales.
Qualifications and experience:
* Evidence of success (within or outside of the Sport Sector) in a Charity, Education, Military, Corporate or Professional Services environment
* Evidence of leadership in a change environment
* Evidence of the ability to act with professionalism and probity, and with a strong philosophy of equity, inclusion and diversity
* Experience of Fundraising and Events and/or Human Resources and Employment would be beneficial
This position is voluntary, unpaid and will involve a commitment of approximately 20 days p.a. (inclusive of Board and subcommittee meetings, performance review meetings and external representations).
The term of office is 4 years with a second term (subject to Board approval) of 4 years.
Expenses will be reimbursed in line with FDSWs Expenses Policy.
We are committed to operating a positive and flexible professional environment and will seek to ensure that we remove any barriers to full engagement on our Board - we will therefore consider, as examples:
* Covering the costs of reasonable care provision for dependents (if required) in order to attend meetings
* Provision of BSL, lip-speaking or other preferred communication/language as required
The Federation of Disability Sport Wales is an equal opportunities and Disability Confident Employer.
We welcome all applications and operate a Guaranteed Interview Scheme (GIS) for disabled people.
Acorn Recruitment acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment.