Welsh Athletics is the Governing Body for all Athletics and Running activities in Wales. They have recently launched an exciting new strategy for the sport in Wales and are now seeking a passionate and forward-thinking individual to join its Board and support the development of sport in Wales.
This is a voluntary role with all reasonable travel and subsistence expenses will be reimburse. Your time commitment will be 1 to 2 days per month approximately, and there are typically 5 board meetings per year.
The successful candidate would also be required to Chair the Development and participation sub-group, there are typically 5 sub-group meetings per year.
Terms of office - You will be appointed for an initial three-year term and be responsible to the Welsh Athletics Board. A non-executive Director is eligible for a maximum of two terms.
Location - Welsh Athletics offices are located at the Cardiff International Sports campus in Leckwith, Cardiff and the majority of meetings are held in Cardiff (Skype is available).
The role of the Board and its members is to supervise the management of Welsh Athletics business and to discharge the responsibilities of the directors under the Companies Act.
You will be required to:
* Be a company director of Welsh Athletics Limited and provide leadership and expertise in the area of Club Development and Participation
* Ensure that controls and systems are in place to safeguard corporate governance of Welsh Athletics and report to membership, through the AGM
* Prepare policy papers and undertake specific development projects as directed by the Board
* Chair the development and participation sub-group of the Board, reporting back to the Board on key items at each meeting
* Work closely with the Head of Development and Participation in ensuring that all strategic objectives are met, and key projects are delivered on time and to budget
* Advise the Board on areas relating to club development and participation
* Advocate, support and champion the club modernisation agenda across Wales
* Provide direct support to the Run Wales social running programme, supporting the Programme Manager with advocacy with key stakeholders and partners
* Advise the Board on areas relating to Coach Education and Coach Development
* Support the delivery of the development and participation elements of the new Welsh Athletics Strategy
* In conjunction with the Non-Executive Director with the remit for Performance, ensure that all projects are aligned across the sporting pathway
* Promote the highest standards of governance and seek compliance wherever possible
The successful candidate will:
* Have a passion for the Sport of Athletics and have intimate knowledge of the sport in Wales, including an understanding of the club system in Wales
* Have significant experience of involvement within Sport Development or within a programme aimed at increasing participation levels in Sport
* Have knowledge of the current sporting landscape in Wales, and be aware of the changing political landscape in relation to the role Sport will play in the wider political agenda in Wales
* Be prepared to attend Board meetings, usually a set number per annum with dates agreed in advance and be available for training and development opportunities as agreed by the Board itself
You must be able to demonstrate:
* A commitment to Welsh Athletics, its values, goals and ethics the duty of care of all involved are safeguarded at all times
* An understanding of the environment with an awareness of the sporting pathway for athletes and coaches in Wales
* An understanding of good corporate governance
* Highly developed communication skills
* Values-based behaviour
* Strong analytical skills
* Business skills and experience
The full recruitment pack is attached. Apply via our recruitment partner, Jan Hughes (Director, Executive Search at Acorn) Closing date: 5pm, 30 March 2020
Acorn Recruitment Ltd is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.