Acorn Executive Search supports sport governing bodies in identifying NEDs in order to strengthen their Boards. On behalf of Welsh Athletics we're looking for an enthusiastic and forward-thinking person with specific skills, experience and knowledge relating to equality, diversity & inclusion, to join its Board.
This is a voluntary role: all reasonable travel and subsistence expenses will be reimbursed
Time commitment: 1-2 days per month approximately, there are typically 5 board meetings per year. The successful candidate would also be required to be a part of the Governance sub-group, and to Chair the Equality working group, there are typically 5 sub-group meetings per year.
Terms of office: The Non-Executive Director will be appointed for an initial three-year term and be responsible to the Welsh Athletics Board. A non- executive Director is eligible for a maximum of two terms.
Location: Welsh Athletics offices are located at the Cardiff International Sports Campus in Leckwith, Cardiff and the majority of meetings are held in Cardiff (Skype is available)
Welsh Athletics vision is to create a world class athletics development programme and to grow athletics to be the biggest sport in Wales through participation and opportunity.
They are committed to be the sector leading National Governing Body of sport in Wales and truly live their values of trusted, respected, ambitious and of excellence, fun and together.
The role of the Board and its members is to supervise the management of Welsh Athletics' business and to discharge the responsibilities of its directors under the Companies Act.
You will be required to:
* Provide leadership and expertise in the area of Equality, Diversity & Inclusion, including the Welsh Language action plan
* Advise on the development, implementation and evaluation of Welsh Athletics approach to Equality, Diversity & Inclusion
* Prepare policy papers and undertake specific development projects as directed by the Board.
* Be a member of the Governance Sub-Group
* Support WA to identify, manage and mitigate any organisational risks associated with Equality, Diversity & Inclusion.
* Chair the equality working group - reporting to the Board on the organisations progress towards achieving the Advanced Level of the Equality Standard for Sport and the Gold Insport Award
* Comment and feedback on Welsh Athletics policies, survey results, strategies and activities that have an impact on Equality, Diversity & Inclusion as appropriate and necessary.
* Support the delivery of the Equality, Diversity & Inclusion element of the new Welsh Athletics Strategy, in particular, the equality objectives
* Ensure that controls and systems are in place to safeguard corporate governance of Welsh Athletics and report to membership, through the AGM.
* Promote the highest standards of governance and seek compliance wherever possible.
* Attend and represent Welsh Athletics at meetings relevant to the Equality Standard for Sport as agreed (currently expected to be approximately 1 meeting per annuum)
The successful candidate will have a passion for advancing equality and diversity within our sport, and the wider sector.
You will have:
* Knowledge of the current sporting landscape in Wales, and will be aware of the changing political landscape in relation to the role Sport will play in the wider political agenda in Wales
* Experience of delivering / supporting initiatives that have made a significant impact in equality, diversity & inclusion in improving provision for groups defined as having protected characteristics under the provision of the Equality Act 2010
You will be prepared to attend Board meetings, usually a set number per annum with dates agreed in advance and be available for training and development opportunities as agreed by the Board itself.
1. Commitment to Welsh Athletics, its values, goals and ethics
2. Understanding of the environment
3. Understanding of good corporate governance
4. Highly developed communication skills
5. Values-based behaviour
6. Strong analytical skills
7. Business skills and experience
Application is via Jan Hughes (Director, Executive Search, at Acorn)
Closing date: 5pm on 30th March 2020
Acorn Recruitment Ltd is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.