The Welsh Judo Association (WJA) is seeking to appoint an Independent Board Director (Governance and Vice-Chair) to their board. The Full description is available on the WJA website.
WJA is a Private Company, Limited by guarantee and its purpose is to act as the governing body for the Sport of Judo in Wales. In doing so, it seeks to:
* Promote Judo throughout Wales.
* Provide to the Members, services, advice and assistance in connection with Judo.
* Provide and promote Judo related education, training and other services to Members, organisations, and the public in Wales.
* Do all other things that are incidental or conducive to the attainment of the above objectives.
The business of the company is managed by the Directors consisting of five Directors elected by the Members and seven appointed by the Directors.
Currently, the WJA Board has an Appointed Governance Director vacancy that it is seeking to fill and welcomes applications from any person who is eligible to undertake the role of a Company Director.
Term: Appointed Directors are normally appointed for 2 years and eligible for re-appointment up to a maximum of 8 years in total.
Remuneration: All Board Directors, (other than the CEO if they are a Board member), are non-executive roles and therefore voluntary and unpaid; reasonable expenses reimbursed at cost in accordance with the expense policy.
Location: Meetings held in Cardiff however there's option to attend via video conference.
Commitment: 5 Board Meetings per year, along with an AGM, WJA official activities such as events, presentations and competitions where Board Directors are available and WJA Commissions where Board Directors are available.
The role of the WJA Board's is to:
* Provide leadership and expertise in corporate governance to the WJA to ensure that it meets all regulatory and legal standards.
* Determine the WJA's vision, mission and strategic aims ensuring that the necessary sustainable financial and human resources are in place for it to meet its objectives.
* Exercise appropriate and effective control of the organisation satisfying themselves on the integrity of financial information and ensuring that financial controls and systems of risk management are robust.
* Support and evaluate the CEO in their leadership of the business.
* Monitor and challenge the performance of the association in meeting agreed goals and objectives.
* Positively promote the strategic interests of the WJA internally and externally.
* Uphold the highest ethical standards of integrity and probity and set the WJA's values and standards.
* Support the operational delivery of the WJA's strategy through their involvement and leadership on Commissions.
Attached on WJA website is the full list of technical skills, knowledge, and experience that we require of our Board members as well as the competencies (the behaviours) that have been identified as critical to the success of the Board.
We do not expect potential Board members to have all the technical, skills or experience listed; however, we will want Board members, collectively, to have all of them. Appointed Directors are typically sought for a particular area of expertise and during this process we are keen to attract the following to supplement the current Board: Governance
We will provide learning and development opportunities for the Board as a group to ensure they are supported in their role. Welsh Judo is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion, belief, and gender.
The deadline for applying is Monday 9th of October 2023. Applicants are required to provide a copy of their CV and required to complete the following documents:
* Appointed Director Application Form
* Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form
You will find these documents on the Welsh Judo Association's website along with contact details should you wish to discuss the position in further detail before applying.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend a virtual interview that will be held at appropriate and accessible times during the week commencing 16th of October.
Prior to the interview the Company house records for each applicant will be checked and references collected.
Acorn by Synergie acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment.