Now is a great time to join us at Transport for Wales. You will be joining and becoming part of the journey of transformation that we are undergoing for our transport network. We are busy and full of energy whilst embarking on this historic transformation; and as a Trainee Train Conductor you could be an important part of the journey.
Your 'view from the office' changes by the minute! No two days are ever the same. This is a very dynamic role, so if you are up for the challenge, it could be perfect for you.
This can be the start of a fantastic and exciting career, offering a wealth of learning and development opportunities. No previous rail experience is needed for the role as our comprehensive training programme will prepare you for all that may come your way. There are things key that we do look out for, explained further below.
We offer a very competitive salary package that includes an excellent pension and free rail travel on our services for you and your dependants.
We recognise and actively encourage the value of a diverse and inclusive workplace, where people can bring their whole self to work. We are committed to building a balanced and inclusive business within Transport for Wales Rail Services that means we are the employer of talented people, with diverse experiences and backgrounds.
* That you are 21 years of age or over
* Reside within one hour (travelling time in normal traffic conditions) of your chosen depot to work
* Flexibility towards working hours as your shift lengths and patterns will vary, including early starts/late finishes and working weekends, including Sundays and Bank Holidays
* Willingness to go through intensive training for approximately 26 weeks, mixture of classroom-based learning and 'on the job' training
* This is a safety critical role and as a result, you will be required to undertake a medical to determine fitness for the role
* To have good eyesight, hearing and normal colour vision
What to expect:
As a Conductor, you will be responsible for the safety of our passengers and the train environment whilst delivering exceptional customer service. Our training team will prepare you for all responsibilities of the role, which will include:
* Ensuring the safe and timely running of our train services
* Learning and understanding nationally agreed rules, regulations and operational instructions
* Responding to out of course situations as they arise and carrying out emergency procedures in accordance with rules and regulations
* Reporting (written and verbal) all incidents/accidents promptly and in instances immediately to the right points of contact
* Being approachable and giving industry-leading customer service to ensure their journey is a positive one
* Dealing with customer enquiries, providing accurate and current information, and making on-board announcements
* Working alone and as part of a wider team, communicating all relevant information with fellow train crew
* Being responsible for revenue protection through checking customer tickets and travel documentation; ensuring validity for the journey, selling tickets where appropriate and addressing customers who do not have tickets or are unable to pay on the train
The skills you will need:
* The ability to stay alert, be pro-active and respond to potential safety/security risks
* Understanding the importance of rules, regulations and strict instructions
* Patience, with the ability to remain calm and responsible under pressure and in difficult situations
* Customer focused with a genuine enthusiasm to making a positive contribution to the customer experience
* Ability to connect with customers by listening, understanding and responding to individual customer needs
* Be positive and resilient with a 'can do' attitude
* Ability to make effective decisions
* Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Have high self-presentation standards that will always meet the company standards of uniform wearing
**If you have been through the assessment or interview process for a Trainee Train Conductor role (in any location) within the last six months and were unsuccessful, we are sorry to say that we will not reconsider your application, therefore please do not re-apply until the six month time period has passed.**
If the role of Conductor sounds like the direction you want to take your career, please get your application in by our closing date - 28th September 2020.
Please note that the application deadline can be brought forward once we receive a sufficient number of applications. So, we recommend that you apply immediately to avoid disappointment!
Acorn Recruitment acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment.